Search This Blog

Monday, January 6, 2014

Act of Kindness #5: Wait A Minute Mister Postman

Yes, I've been standin' here waitin' Mister Postman, so patiently, but unlike the Marvelettes, I'm not waiting for a card or a letter.  No, Mister Postman, today, I'm waiting for YOU.

You may not realize it, but you are an important guy around this house.

Because of you, Laila gets her monthly magazine.  We curl up in her bed and read with one another from its pages.  We look for patterns, we make predictions, we create all sorts of crafts, and most importantly, we spend quality time with one another.  Thank you.

It's you who can take a boring afternoon and turn it into an experience that puts Disney World to shame.  In fact, all you have to do is ring that door bell and tiny feet scatter from throughout my house making their way to the door.  As I open the door, little eyes peer out in sheer anticipation.  And when you a leave a package on the door step from their Cita in Texas or a box that contains fabulous tutus, their squeals fill the house and fill my heart. Thank you.

A week after Ceci was born, you brought the mail up to our door because our box was full. As a mother of a newborn, I was obviously slacking on my daily mail run.  I looked a mess.  My hair was disheveled.  A baby hung off one of my hips. I was sporting two day old pajamas.  My top surely had spit-up on it, and I'm pretty sure I was bra-less.  You didn't look alarmed by my less than desirable appearance.  I apologized, and due to my lack of human interaction, I'm almost positive that I went on a 20 minute monologue, explaining why I hadn't gotten my mail and why I looked a mess.  You stood there and listened (or pretended to listen.) And then, do you know what you did?  The rest of the week, you walked my mail up to the door for me, so that I didn't have to get the mail with a newborn.  Thank you.

You bring us birthday cards and Christmas cards and postcards from far away places.

You drop off pictures from some of the most important moments in our lives.

You make sure we get our bills, and we even appreciate you for that.

And in a world filled with uncertainty, you are one person that we can always rely on.  We know that each afternoon, at 1 pm, you will drive that glorious white vehicle up to our home.  Thank you.

The more I reflect on what you do, the more I realize that I take you for granted.  You work on Saturdays while I am home enjoying my girls.  You spend most December evenings, working later than normal and driving around to deliver holiday cards and packages, when you should be resting.

I don't think I have ever once thanked you, so this is my thank
you.

I know that you drove in LESS than desirable conditions to get mail to people today.  You battled snowy roads, crazy drivers, and wind chills of -20, so I hope the caramel corn and hot chocolate are a nice treat to help you unwind after you long day.

P.S.  Mister Postman, I know that I am not allowed to leave random packages without postage inside my mailbox.  I hope this act of kindness doesn't result in any sort of fine.





No comments:

Post a Comment