Search This Blog

Friday, December 5, 2014

Our Hypotonia Journey: 16 Days of Awareness - Quitter

I give up easily...if something is too hard, I quit.  If I am too tired...I throw in the towel. I give up diets. I give up on Pinterest projects. And some days, I even contemplate giving up on giving up.  A lot of the times, I am all too happy to be a self-proclaimed quitter. And in those moments, I think of Ceci.

Each movement Ceci makes is a fight against gravity.  

A friend once compared living with hypotonia to coming home after an extremely long and exhausting day at work:
  Your body is sore, and your mind is tired.  You take off your shoes, slip into some comfortable clothes, and have a seat on the coziest, softest couch you own.  And as you sink into the welcoming depths of that couch, someone urgently shouts that they need you in the next room.  

Imagine the feeling of having to use every ounce of energy that you have left to rise up off of that couch. That is what each movement Ceci makes feels like to her. Just envisioning that scenario makes me want to give up. But Ceci doesn't.  She refuses to let her hypotonia stop her.  Ceci is not a quitter.

Rolling over, sitting, crawling, standing, and walking...none of those skills have been easy for her to master. There are moments of frustration and tears, and there are months upon months of therapy, hard work and determination. 

However,  no matter how many times Ceci falls down, she always gets back up.  Ceci never stops trying, and her determination never ceases to impress me.

I know our kids are supposed to learn from us, but I could never deny learning a lesson in perseverance from Ceci every day.

1 comment:

  1. You are NOT a quitter. You are a
    re-approacher. If something gets difficult you just try a different approach!

    ReplyDelete