Search This Blog

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Act of Kindness #1: 46 Cents

To send a letter is a good way to go somewhere without moving anything but your heart.  ~Phyllis Theroux


When I was growing up, there was nothing more exciting than walking to the mailbox each day.  I can recall sitting impatiently in my living room, beside the giant window, waiting for the mail person to drive up to 1507 18th Green Court.  In order to avoid looking too desperate, I would wait till the mail truck pulled away, and then I would sprint out the door.  I remember making the trek in the summer time.  The warm sidewalk underneath my bare feet, quickened my already anxious foot steps.  Would there be a letter from my pen pal?  A magazine?  Or a card from my grandma?  Hand outstretched and hopeful heart, the mailbox held an enormous amount of prospect, opportunity, possibility and at times, disappointment.



As technology took over, the walk to the mailbox lost some of its appeal.  Now, the mailbox holds bills and more bills and maybe an occasional Christmas card in December and birthday card in February.  Otherwise, my mail has become highly mundane.


I decided that for my first Act of Kindness, I wanted to bring mail appeal back and brighten someone's day.  


In order to accomplish my task, I utilized Hugs and Hope, a website that operates as a ministry of encouragement for children battling critical illness.   Hugs and Hope provides and extensive list of children, a profile about each child, and an address to send the child "Happy Mail."  

Laila wanted in on the action as well.  We selected two girls to receive our cards.  Laila was able to find a child that shared the same birthday as her:12/4/07, and together, we selected one more sweet child to send Happy Mail to.  Wanting to add her own touch, Laila colored a picture for each child and we included some fun stickers for the girls to use as well.



The hardest part of this Act of Kindness was selecting a child.  To be completely honest, I will probably be sending out a lot more Happy Mail in the future.  I want to make sure each child on the list gets some special mail, and I am sure the Post Office is extremely bored anyway, now that the holiday season has come and gone.


Though I won't be the one making that joyous venture to the mailbox, it makes me a little bit happier knowing that someone out there will be opening that mailbox with anxious hands, excitedly tearing that envelope apart, and hopefully smiling a very big smile...46 cents is worth that, without a doubt.


Here is the Hugs and Hope site if you are interested in sending some Happy Mail:  http://www.hugsandhope.org/index.htm

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment