Search This Blog

Friday, December 4, 2015

12 Readers Weigh in on How Much Santa Should Bring


mom-note-about-santa

For the last year, a mom's Facebook post about gifts from Santa has circulated all around social media. With the Christmas season upon us, the post is -- once again -- making rounds.  In order to prevent children from potentially feeling hurt, the mother requests people consider crediting Santa with only the small gifts and make it known the larger ticket items are from parents.

We asked the readers of Crazy Cakes and Eskimo Kisses what their thoughts were on the mother's request.  Here is what they had to say:


1. Personally, I think the concept of regulating a holiday/character that is fictitious to begin with is doing too much, but I see the sentiment behind the idea.  Life isn't fair, as tragic as that is.
John Haliburton Jr.

2. I think it is always important to be aware of our actions in relations to others.  What consequences do the ripples of our actions cause?  Something to think about and be aware of.
Jackquelyn Wallace

3. I think there's too much managing of other people's business in general going on these days, so I'd probably come down on this being "over the line," but I would hope that families who are more fortunate are raising their children with the knowledge that not everyone has their advantages, and that listing what you got for Christmas in front of anybody but your grandma is not a good move!
Leah Gregory

4. I understand the sentiment but it's a ridiculous request. Santa only brings each of my kiddos one gift, but to expect that other families practice the exact same tradition is unrealistic.
Michelle Cates

5. I agree with this, personally. I see it as if one kid asks for this awesome gift from Santa and another kid does too but only one of them gets it, it leaves the other child wondering "What did I do wrong? What did he do that I didn't do?"
Danielle Lewis

6. I've seen this before and my first thought was "what Santa does in my house is my business," but after reading this again, it makes sense and makes my heart hurt. The last thing I would ever want to do is make a child feel bad. Besides, why should Santa get the credit. ;)
Amber Jones

7. I have noticed through the years that if we give our kids more than 3 or 4 presents, they are totally overwhelmed and they stop caring. So, we try to keep it relatively small, but meaningful. My kids never have outrageous demands and they are not used to insane amounts of gifts. We always make sure they get that one thing on their list that they really want. I guess to each their own, but I want my kids to think Christmas is way more than a gift-fest, and I also want to teach them to be wise consumers.
Danielle Anderson

8. I understand not wanting to hurt another kids feelings, but come on, let's prepare our kids for real life. My family was middle class, and many years, my friends got better stuff -- not because my parents couldn't afford it, but because they didn't believe in buying us every thing we wanted.
Jami Hand

9. We don't do Santa here. He's more like a superhero, princess or Ninja Turtle to my kids. It's a fun story that people tell. A fat guy in a suit doesn't actually break into our house in the middle of the night. I like the idea of everyone having the same 'story' as it were, about Santa and what kinds of presents he gets kids..... But really, the kid who got nothing for Christmas will be just as sad if his friend got a PlayStation from Santa or from his grandparents.
Shelly Thrasher

10. I totally get this, I do, but as a parent my kids believing in the spirit of the holiday and the magic of Santa means a lot to me. We spend every day after Thanksgiving going through our belongings, and then, I bring the kids to the donation center. They understand we have more than others and they know to give back.  And Santa gives them something special we can't. So, while I get it, I am not sure I can abide!
Anonymous Reader

11. We have become a society where everything has to be equal. Why? I'll never forget when I was 8 and all I wanted was a Cabbage Patch doll from Santa. I woke up Christmas morning and there was a present from Santa but no Cabbage Patch doll. I cried and cried and cried. Then, my neighbor came over, and she showed me her Cabbage Patch doll that Santa had given her. I asked mom why she got one and I didn't. My mom told me that Santa can't get everybody their first choice, and I had to go with my second. I totally was okay. If somebody wants to buy all of Walmart and say it is from Santa, they should be allowed. We will buy one gift because this is our tradition. And my kids will be okay because I will teach them to be okay.
Dana Matthews

12. Kids are on Christmas break typically through the first week of January. A child who is still young enough to believe in the magic of Ole St. Nick, probably isn't going to have the mental capacity to run back to school and remember exactly what present under the tree came from Santa and compare their take with the other kids. Secondly, this reeks of the "participation trophy" syndrome. I explain to my 6 year old everyday -- like a broken record -- why I don't allow her to: watch Monster High, wear make-up, drink soda, etc. like some of her friends do. Life isn't fair, and mommy and daddy play by a different set of rules with regards to parenting. And if this becomes the precedent, where does it end?
Josh Hobson

What's your take? Should parents minimize the role of Santa in the gift giving process to protect the feelings of others?


For the month of December, we will be celebrating the holidays with our 12 Days of Christmas. Be sure to check back for a new holiday piece by a new contributor.


No comments:

Post a Comment